Mon - Fri: 7.00 am - 10.00 pm
Handling Matters Throughout Florida

Insurance Claims and Disputes FAQ

Insurance Claims and Disputes FAQ

The first thing you should do is to get the insurance policy. If you have multiple policies (such as an additional flood policy or wind damage policy), get them all. Next, take pictures and video of the damage from multiple angles and distances, including close ups of the damage. You must also take reasonable steps to protect your property from further damage. It will also be a good idea to contact contractors so you can have them inspect your property and provide estimates to find the cost and scope of repairs.

Once your policy is in hand, reach out to your insurance carrier (or carriers) to report the loss and initiate the claims process. Do this when you first learn of the damage. You are required to report the loss promptly even if you believe that the damage your property received will not meet your deductible. Report the damage to all of your insurance carriers, and to be safe you should also provide notification in writing by also sending a letter to your carrier(s).

Ask and write your agent for a copy of the policy if you do not have one and get the name of your insurance company, your policy number, and telephone number for the company.

Obviously, the first thing an insurer will want to know when you report property damage is what was damaged, what caused the damage, and when the incident or loss event occurred. If you have taken any steps or bought any materials to prevent further damage or have hired anyone to help with repairs, KEEP ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS.

If you are not sure whether the cause of the loss is covered, we recommend you call an attorney first. Hurricane and fire claims generally are easily covered and should pose no problem. However, some agents erroneously tell their customers that a particular cause of loss is excluded from coverage because the agent does not fully understand the language used in the policy, and sometimes the policyholder fails to give an accurate description of the loss and the event which led to the loss.

Our firm handles virtually every insurance claim case on a contingency basis. Under our standard contingency fee agreement, if there is no recovery, there are no fees or costs owed to Tighe, P.A.

If we lose, we work for you for free. If we prevail, then the insurance company may have to cover our attorneys’ fees and costs. Either way, you get legal representation for your claim dispute free of charge.

Our law-firm also advances the costs associated with your case such as the court filing fee, hiring independent loss consultants, etc. If you are not sure if we can help you, give us a call and speak to one of our friendly staff who will gladly answer all of your questions.

Florida law provides that if a policyholder sues his/her/its insurance company, to recover on a Florida issued policy, the insurance company must pay a reasonable attorney’s fee as well as statutory fees if the insured is successful in the suit.

After handling thousands of insurance claim disputes, we feel that the amount we ask for is fair, and is sufficient to allow us to prepare for and effectively litigate. Other firms may feel differently.

That’s easy! Contact us if you have any questions about your property damage or insurance claim.

To reach us:
Toll free in Florida – 1.855.567.7776 (1-855-LOSSPRO)
E-mail at

We look forward to speaking to you!

In Florida, an insurance carrier is required to pay or deny your claim within 90 days of you submitting your claim. If you do not receive a check within 90 days, the insurance company may be wrongfully delaying your claim. This is illegal.

Depending on the particular circumstances, your insurance company might even have to pay penalty interest fees if it is found that they wrongfully delayed resolving your claim.

If you have submitted a claim but have not received a settlement offer or a denial, it might be time to seek the aid of an experienced hurricane insurance and property damage claim attorney.

In the insurance industry, Actual Cash Value, or ACV, is the amount of money you would need to repair or replace the damaged property, minus depreciation.

There is no exact measure to determine what ACV would be in an insured loss, and Florida law allows for various methodologies to be used by insurers to help them to determine ACV.

Whereas the Actual Cash Value takes depreciation into account, Replacement Cost Value (RCV) is purely the cost to repair or replace the damaged property and DOES NOT take depreciation into account.


An insurance company is simply not allowed to deny an insured’s claim without conducting a complete and reasonable investigation based upon all the available facts and information.

In the state of Florida an insurance company is required to provide, in writing, a prompt and reasonable explanation to the insured which explains the basis in the insurance policy, in relation to the specific facts and /or applicable laws, for the denial of the claim.

The majority of homeowners insurance policies in Florida provide coverage for “additional living expenses” in the insured loss event has rendered your home uninhabitable.

Typically, these expenses cover the cost of a hotel or rental home while your home is being rebuilt. Other “additional living expenses” which are likely to be covered include meals eaten while taking care of rebuild-related tasks, moving costs, pet boarding fees, and other expenses you incurred in order to fix the property.

In short, it means take caution. An insurance company S.I.U. (Special Investigative Unit) is typically the team devoted to investigating suspected fraud. This team’s job is to investigate the policyholder as much as the actual loss. In all cases where your “adjuster” was assigned by your insurer’s S.I.U., you should seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity. If you find out that the S.I.U. is involved while in a meeting with your insurance company, ask to reschedule and contact an attorney for advice.

Can't Find the Answer?

ask your question

    Contact Us

    don’t waste your time, resolve the proplem

    11891 U.S. Highway 1, # 100

    North Palm Beach, FL 33408

    1 (855) 567-7776

    Mon - Fri: 7.00 am - 10.00 pm

    Mail us now

    Contact Information
    11891 U.S. Hwy 1 #100, North Palm Beach, FL 33408
    Mon - Fri: 7.00 am - 10.00 pm
    Get Directions
    Contact Information
    11891 U.S. Hwy 1 #100, North Palm Beach, FL 33408
    Mon - Fri: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
    Get Directions

    Daniel C Tighe, P.A. 2021. All Rights Reserved.

    Daniel C Tighe, P.A. 2021. All Rights Reserved.

    While we maintain joint responsibility, most cases are referred to other attorneys for principal responsibility.